The Baby Steps papers are a lovely combination of greys and yellows and they don't just suit baby projects. This mini pocket album is just for me and would make a lovely gift project as it's small enough to post without costing the earth and also not so big as to take forever to put together. If you'd like to make your own here's the how....
1. Cut two pieces of chipboard 7.5cm x 7.5cm and one 3cm by 7.5cm for the book spine.
2. Trim your patterned paper 23cm x 11.5cm. Adhere the spine piece of chipboard to the center of the paper using a wet glue. Adhere the two cover pieces one on either side of the spine piece and using a double thickness scrap of chipboard held vertically between the pieces to ensure they are correctly spaced. Score lightly around the chipboard pieces once they are dry and starting with the long edges, fold over the chipboard and glue in place. Ease the book cover closed checking the spine for rips in the paper.
3. Cut a piece of pale yellow cardstock 14.5 x 6.25cm. Score down from the long edge at 2.5cm, 3.5cm, 4.5cm, 5cm, 6cm,7cm ,7.5cm, 8.5cm, 9.5cm, 10cm, 11cm, 12cm. Apply tape to each of the first 1cm panels in a pair and fold at the score line to attach each pair together to form four 1cm flaps with a 0.5cm gap between each one and a 2.5cm panel at each end. Taper the ends of the flaps. This forms the binding.
4. Attach the binding piece to the inside center of the book spine. Carefully ease the book closed with the spine in place. This style of binding is known as a hidden hinge.
5. Cut two pieces of the cover patterned paper 6.5cm x 6.5cm. Adhere to the inside covers.
6. Cut four page pieces of pale yellow cardstock 15cm x 8.5cm. Score and cut as shown on the diagram on my Wildflower Pocket Mini. Fold at the score lines, wrapping the 2.5cm section around to close the page. Apply glue to the small pocket tabs and fold inwards to seal the pocket sides and secure the page. Repeat for four pages.
7. Mat the front, back and pocket front of the pages. Apply glue to the first flap of the book spine and slide on the page. Repeat for four pages aligning the top edges.
8. Cut four tags 12cm x 6.25cm to fit the pocket pages. Score each tag at 6cm and mat the outer flap of each tag. Slide the tags into the pocket pages with the flap on the non-pocket side. Cut tags to fit the small pockets and round the corners.
9. Tie a piece of ribbon in a bow around the book to secure. Back a frame with patterned paper and adhere over the ribbon to secure. Add paper flowers with gems and pearl centers to the lower edge of the frame. Cut owls from the patterned paper and back with cardstock for rigidity adhere above the flowers using foam pads.
DCPAP060 - 6" x 6" paper pack Dovecraft Back to Basics Baby Steps
DCPAP059 - 8" x 8" paper pack Dovecraft Back to Basics Baby Steps
DCWDN041 - Wooden Frames Baby Steps
DCFLW013 - Paper Blossoms
DCDOT025 - Adhesive Pearls
DCRBN025 - Ribbon Pack