These gooey little s'mores cupcakes are a chocoholics dream and feature a surprise homemade marshmallow fluff filling!
You Will Need:
For the sponge...
• 50g unsalted butter
• 85g caster sugar
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 large egg
• 40ml milk
• 25g cocoa powder
• 60g plain flour
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• A pinch of salt
For the filling & topping...
• 200g marshmallows
• 2 tablespoons milk
• 120g unsalted butter- at room temperature
• 240g icing sugar
• 80g dark chocolate
How To Make:
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 5
2. Line a 6 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases and set aside until needed.
3. To make the sponge cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in the egg, milk and all the dry ingredients until well-combined.
5. Divide the mix between the 6 cupcake cases.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sponge springs back to the touch, then allow to cool completely.
7. Whilst the cupcakes are baking combine the marshmallows- reserving 6 for decoration, and milk in a large heatproof mixing bowl.
8. Melt in the microwave, or over a pan of simmering water, stirring regularly, until smooth.
9. Once the cupcakes are cool use an apple corer or teaspoon to hollow out the centres.
10. Spoon or pipe the marshmallow mixture into the centre of each cupcake.
11. To make the buttercream melt the chocolate in the microwave, or over a pan of simmering water, stirring regularly, until smooth.
12. Cream together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
13. Add the remaining melted marshmallow and beat until smooth.
14. Fold in the chocolate.
15. Pipe or spoon the chocolate marshmallow frosting over the cupcakes.
16. Top each cupcake with a marshmallow and toast with a blowtorch before serving.
- The cupcakes can be made a few days in advance and stored in an airtight container.
- Hollowing out the centre of the cupcake is a great way to create hidden surprises in cupcakes - why not try swapping the marshmallow for hidden sweets?!
A huge thank you to Elle Townsend for this lovely recipe! If you’re interested in seeing any of her other lovely makes then check out her Instagram feed where she regularly posts the most incredible food!
Will you be making Elle’s spooky ghost meringues? We’d LOVE to see if you give these a try, so don’t forget to #Trimcraft and tag @elle_jane_ when uploading to social media, and to share your yummy makes in the Inspiration area.