After the First World War, the poppy was adopted as a symbol of Remembrance and remains significant today as a lasting memorial symbol to the fallen soldiers. After a losing a friend in Ypres, a Canadian doctor named Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae was inspired to write his now-famous poem ‘In Flanders Fields’ after he became inspired by the sight of red poppies growing in the battle-scarred fields.
11th November 2018 marks the centenary of the Armistice and in commemoration, we’re going to show you how to create your very own felt poppies.
DIY Felt Poppies Tutorial
Today, we’re showing you how to create your basic felt poppy using our wonderful Free Template. A wonderful Remembrance Sunday tradition, once you’ve mastered our basic poppy design, they can be transformed into beautiful brooches, hair ties, or even home décor pieces.
This DIY project will make a thoughtful sentiment as the nation prepares to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War. Happy crafting and don’t forget to donate to your local Poppy Appeal!
You Will Need:
How to Make:
1. Print out your free template and use it to cut out your petals for your poppy. To make a larger poppy, use four of the largest petals and three of the medium-sized petals. To make the smaller poppy, use four of the medium, and three of the smallest petals.
2. Cut a strip of black felt to measure approximately 9cm x 1cm. Cut into the strip at intervals. This will later form the centre of your poppy.
3. Take the larger petals and stitch along the bottom of all four.
4. Gather the petals and then stitch them together to create a circle of petals. Repeat these steps with the three smaller petals.
5. Stitch the smaller set of petals to the top set of petals.
6. Wrap the felt strip completely around itself, fanning out the little cut pieces to create the middle part of your flower. Stitch to the top of the poppy.
You now have your finished poppy, ready to accessorise however you like!
DIY Felt Poppy Pin
Add a badge pin to the back of your poppy to make a beautiful brooch that you can use year after year!
Pretty Poppy Necklace
Make three larger poppies, stitch them together and add to a chain to create a pretty, eye-catching necklace. Your friends and family won’t believe that you made this yourself!
Pet Collar Flower
Attach a small length of elastic to the back of your poppy and then slide it along your pet's collar to make a smart pooch accessory!
Embroidery Hoop Wall Décor
So easy to create, we’ve used the larger poppy to create a beautiful embroidery hoop design, and added some leaves to this to decorate. Hang this around your home for a stunning focal point.
DIY Hair Bobble
This is such quick make, yet it looks so pretty once finished. Take your finished large poppy and sew it to a plain hair elastic – then wear with pride. Easy peasy!
Will you be creating your own DIY felt poppies? We’d really love to see if you give this tutorial a try, so don’t forget to #Trimcraft when uploading to social media and to share your projects in the Inspiration area.
Trimcraft design these templates to aid your crafting projects, so we are always happy to see them being used and enjoyed. However, we just ask you credit Trimcraft for the template design when you publish your crafty makes online and on social media.