Waffles are a seriously cosy weekend treat, here we've given them a festive twist, with sugar and spice and all things nice, as we count down the days to Christmas...
You will need:
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice or cinnamon
- half teaspoon salt
- 240ml milk
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
How To Make:
1. Pre-heat oven to 90°C/75°C fan/gas mark 1/4
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the milk, egg and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients, whisk all together to form a smooth batter.
4. Preheat your waffle maker to a medium-high heat, according to manufacturer's instructions.
5. Brush the waffle maker with a little butter or non-stick cooking spray.
6. Place half a cup full of batter into the waffle iron, use the base of the cup measure to spread the batter out to the edges. Cook for around 4-5 minutes, until golden and crisp.
7. Place the cooked waffle onto a baking tray and into the preheated oven to keep warm.
8. Continue until all the batter is used up.
Serve them warm, pile them high and dust with icing sugar just before serving.
- I like to top these waffles with maple syrup, chocolate sauce and orange segments. Nutella and/or golden syrup would work well too or try bacon and maple for a savoury twist.
- A Waffle iron is required to make these but they are a worthwhile investment. Many food items can be 'waffled' including leftover mashed potatoes, omelettes, falafel and even toasted sandwiches!
- Leftover waffles can be stored frozen until needed, simply defrost and reheat in the toaster to crisp them up.
A huge thank you to Elle Townsend for this lovely recipe! If you’re interested in seeing any of her other lovely makes then check out her Instagram feed where she regularly posts the most incredible food!
Will you be making Elle’s glorious gingerbread waffles? We’d LOVE to see if you give these a try, so don’t forget to #Trimcraft and tag @elle_jane_ when uploading to social media, and to share your yummy makes in the Inspiration Area.