As we head into the festive season and upcoming New Year, Kathy is going to show you how to make this DIY Perpetual Calendar using the adorable Dovecraft Bee Happy collection. This would make a thoughtful gift for Christmas, or would be a great addition to your desk – whether it be at work or in your craft room!
The best thing about perpetual calendars is that they can show any combination of day and month, so the same calendar can be used year after year! Kathy takes you step by step through this super cute (and practical) craft below.
You will Need
A Frame (We recommend 6x4” or 7x5”)
Dovecraft Bee Happy Paper Pad, Mini Pegs, Puffy Stickers
First Edition Tag Dies
First Edition Number Dies
Ruler and Craft Knife/Trimmer
Die Cutting Machine
Adhesives (Glue/Dovecraft Perma-Fix tape)
How to Make
1. Remove the glass from frame. Then, use the frame backing board to measure a piece of the foiled hexagon Bee Happy paper and cut this to size using a craft knife and metal edge ruler, or a trimmer. Secure the paper to the frame back board with glue and fit back into the frame.
2. Die cut 26 tag shapes from a coordinating piece of card. I used the gold pearlescent bee paper from the collection. Next, die cut the numbers 0 to 9, and then cut the numbers 0 to 3 again so that you have two of these. Tip: I used the pink paper with gold foiled bees on and tried to position my dies so that the numbers had some of the foiled bees on when cut.
3. Fix numbers 0 to 3 to the first four tags. This will make the first column of your calendar. Then, fix the numbers 0 to 9 to the next ten tags to make your second column. I trimmed down the edges of the number 0 so that it didn’t overlap the edges of the tags.
4. Die cut letters to spell out the first three letters of each month and fix these to the remaining tags. Tip: I fixed double-sided Perma-Fix tape to the back of my paper before die cutting, so that once the letters were cut I had tiny stickers to fix directly onto my tags without the need for glue.
5. Glue pegs onto the backing paper in your frame and, once dry, clip the corresponding tags to each one, with the corresponding numbers for today’s date at the front.
6. Decorate your frame with the Bee Happy puffy stickers to finish.
You now have a perpetual calendar that can show every day of the year by simply changing the tag at the front of each stack! This is sure to make you “Bee Happy” every time you glance at it on your desk or bedside table!
How will you use Kathy’s fab tutorial? We’d LOVE to see your perpetual calendars so don’t forget to #trimcraft when uploading to social media and to share your projects in the Inspiration area.