Homemade gifts are the best way to send some Father’s day love - especially if they are edible and feature chocolate! These homemade Crunchies should fit the bill nicely and are sure to impress this Father’s Day!
You will need:
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 75g golden syrup
- 35ml water
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 150g dark chocolate
- 18 x 25cm roasting tin/deep baking tray
- Sugar/jam thermometer
How To Make:
1. Prepare an 18 x 25cm tray bake/mini roasting tin by greasing with a little oil and lining with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the sugar, honey, golden syrup and water into a heavy based saucepan and stir to combine.
3. Place the bicarbonate of soda into a small bowl and have a wooden spoon at the ready so everything is to hand.
4. Heat the sugar to soft crack stage- 140°C
5. Once the sugar reaches temperature quickly add the bicarbonate of soda, stir to combine and pour into the prepared baking tray. Do this carefully, the mixture is extremely hot and sticky.
6. Allow the honeycomb to cool and set completely.
7. Break up the chocolate and place into a non-reactive heatproof bowl.
8. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, or over a pan of simmering water, stirring regularly, until smooth.
9. Whilst the chocolate is melting break the honeycomb into bite-sized shards and line a tray with greaseproof paper.
10. Dip each honeycomb shard into the chocolate then place onto the prepared tray to set.
- Having all the ingredients ready to go is the key to success in this recipe as the sugar hitting the correct temperature is crucial.
- A sugar or Jam thermometer really helps for accuracy and they are inexpensive to buy from high street stores such as Dunelm or John Lewis and a great addition to your kitchen equipment.
- The pre-dipped honeycomb can be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container for a few days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
A huge thank you to Elle Townsend for this lovely recipe! If you’re interested in seeing any of her other lovely makes then check out her instagram feed where she regularly posts the most incredible food!
Will you be making Elle’s delightfully delicious homemade Crunchies? We’d LOVE to see if you give these a try, so don’t forget to #Trimcraft and tag @elle_jane_ when uploading to social media, and to share your yummy makes in the Inspiration area.