We’ve been loving these sunnier months so far and we’re sure you are too! There is nothing better than chilling out with your family and friends, especially when it involves having a fun summer BBQ - perfect to celebrate birthdays, promotions, engagements… or just this fabulous weather!
We think this is the perfect opportunity to get your craft on and throw a summer get together, and why not make your guests feel extra special by crafting the perfect invitations for the occasion?
Today we’re sharing this DIY Summer Party Shaker Invitation which is super simple to make and has the added surprise of a shaker element that is sure to impress.
You Will Need:
- Paper Addicts 12”x12” Let’s Flamingle Paper Pad (PAPAD013)
- First Edition 6”x6” Chasing Rainbows Paper Pad (FEPAD208)
- Simply Creative 12”x12” Happy Days Paper Pad (SCPAD001)
- First Edition Heart Nesting Die Set (FEDIE304)
- First Edition Party Die Set (FEDIE110)
- First Edition Pots & Vases Die Set (FEDIE010)
- Dovecraft Sweet Moments Paper Blossoms (DCFLW021)
- Dovecraft Silver Mirror Card (DCBS163)
- Dovecraft Perfectly Pink Sequins (DCTOP065)
- Dot & Dab White Foam Tape (DDADH024)
- Dovecraft 5”x7” Card Blanks (DCCE026)
- Dovecraft Heat Resistant Acetate (DCBS135)
(These are just what we’ve used, but feel free to use other things in your craft stash to make it your own!)
How to make:
Let’s prepare! It’s easy to get frustrated with a shaker card/ invitation but it’s actually quite simple. If you prepare all the parts first, it takes away from some of the frustration… so that’s what we’ll do!
1. We’re going to start with the base. Trim 2 coordinating paper designs to a 5”x7” rectangle. This will form the inner and outer part of your invite. We have chosen to use the gentle pink and yellow papers from the Paper Addicts Let’s Flamingle paper pad.
2. Next we’re going to prepare our embellishments. Die cut a cocktail shape out of contrasting paper. We have used the storage jar from the First Edition Pot & Vases for a modern twist on a quirky cocktail.
TRIMCRAFT TIP: Fussy cut the inner part of the die cut out and back it on a gradient paper. This will make it look like a tropical drink!
3. Die cut the “You’re Invited” sentiment out of the holographic paper from the First Edition Chasing Rainbows paper pad, and back this with a plain pink background cardstock to make the letters stand out.
4. Fussy cut 8 lemons from the Simply Creative Happy Days paper pad.
5. Separate a handful of sequins out of the Dovecraft Perfectly Pink sequin bag and put aside.
6. Cut out a 5”x7” piece of Dovecraft Heat resistant Acetate.
Time To Assemble:
It’s time to put it all together now! With your earlier preparation, this should be a breeze!
1. Let’s start with the base again. Using double sided tape or glue, attached one of the 5”x7” rectangles to the front of a 5”x7” card blank.
2. With the second 5”x7” rectangle made of coordinating paper, die cut the biggest heart nesting die out of the middle of the paper to leave a heart shape void.
3. Using a 5”x7” piece of heat resistant acetate, attach this behind the heart to create a small window.
4. Using the Dot & Dab foam tape, attach the “You’re Invited” sentiment to the middle of the patterned paper on the card blank.
5. On the hidden side of the heart shaped window, apply foam tape following the shape to create a dam to hold all your shaker pieces.
6. Take your lemons and sequins and drop them into this dam.
7. Attach the card blank to the paper with an acetate window. This is now a basic summer party shaker invitation!
8. Finish off your card by attaching the remaining embellishments. We’ve added a small yellow flower that compliments the papers to the cocktail to give it added interest.
Now you have your own DIY summer party shaker invitation, great for any occasion! Why not change it up with a different theme? You could replace the papers with First Edition Botanical Beauty and the embellishment with a cute animal and have a jungle themed invite in no time. The possibilities are truly endless!
What do you think? Will you be giving the DIY summer party shaker invitation a go? If you do, we’d LOVE to see your creation over on the inspiration area and don’t forget to #trimcraft if you post on social media!