We are so excited to announce our brand new partnership with the mental health charity, Mind. We’ve joined with the charity to promote the benefits of a healthy mind by using crafts to improve mental health. By helping us to relax and unwind, focus on producing something, as well as offering the chance to spend time with others, participation in the arts and crafts can play a fundamental role in aiding peoples’ wellbeing.
We’re going to be supporting our new partnership across our website and social media, and we thought we’d begin by showing you how to create your own Mindfulness Jar.
Mind say that mindfulness is a technique that can help people to manage their mental health or simply gain more enjoyment from life. It involves making a special effort to give your full attention to what is happening in the present – such as what’s happening in your body, mind, or your surroundings, for example – in a non-judgemental way. Mindfulness describes a way of approaching our thoughts and feelings in order for us to become more aware of them and react differently to them.
Mindfulness can help you to increase awareness of your thoughts and feelings, manage unhelpful thoughts, and to feel calmer and manage stress better. As it involves paying more attention to what you do in your daily life, it is a good idea to pick one or two activities to try to do mindfully each day. Find out here if mindfulness is right for you.
So today, Maxine is showing you how to make your own Mindfulness Jar, full of ideas that you can try as you practice Mindfulness. Find out how she created it below…
You will Need
First Edition Let’s Celebrate 12” x 12” Pad
Dovecraft Butterfly Die Set (DCDIE007), Flower Die (DCDIE015), Wooden Alphabet Stamp Set,
First Edition Nesting Doily Die Set (FEDIE164),
Simply Creative Gems,
Clean Glass Jar,
How to Make
1. Cut a strip of paper from the wonderful Let’s Celebrate papers 6cm wide, and long enough to fit around your jar. Adhere to your jar.
2. Die cut a large doily shape from the First Edition nesting die set and adhere to the strip around the jar.
3. Die cut a selection of butterflies and flowers using the Dovecraft dies from a selection of the Let’s Celebrate papers.
4. Using the Dovecraft alphabet stamps, stamp the words ‘Mindfulness Jar’ onto a strip of Let’s Celebrate paper and adhere this to the side of the jar.
5. Add gems to the centre of the die cuts to decorate.
6. Stamp a selection of inspirational phrases on to more strips of the Let’s Celebrate papers and adhere these to the jar, if you like.
7. Write your mindful activities onto lolly sticks and place them inside the jar.
Your Mindfulness Jar is now complete – pick out one or two ideas a day to try when you have a spare moment to help you to practice mindfulness.
Here are some ideas for you to put in your own Mindfulness Jar:
- Take a relaxing bath or shower
- Listen to a guided mediation app or CD
- Take a walk amongst nature
- Write down what you love about yourself
- Write down what you love about your friends
- Listen to some relaxing music
- Visit a new place
- Craft a handmade card
- Practice mindful colouring
- Listen to your favourite song
- Unplug from social media
- Listen to a podcast
- Go for a walk
- Make yourself a cup of tea
- Practice Yoga
Will you be creating your own Mindfulness Jar? Don’t forget to let us know how you get on! Don’t forget to #Trimcraft when to social media and to share your projects in the Inspiration area if you create your own.
You can visit Mind’s website at www.mind.org.uk