With the start of the Wimbledon Championships just a few weeks away we thought we'd celebrate with a spot of afternoon tea, strawberries & cream are on the menu.
British summertime only really begins when the first native strawberries become available, I rarely eat strawberries out of this season as they just don't taste as good!
Apparently a whopping 2 million strawberries are consumed over the two weeks of the Championships, however for this recipe just a punnet will suffice...
Makes 10-12 cupcakes
You will Need:
125g Caster Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
125g Self Raising Flour
A Pinch of Salt
2 Large Eggs
6 British Strawberries
227g pot of clotted cream
Trimcraft Downloadable Wimbledon Themed Cupcake Toppers
Download our Free Tennis Toppers Template Here
How to Make
1. Pre-heat oven to 175°C /160°C/gas mark 4
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and fold in the flour until you have a smooth mixture
3. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown or a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out cleanly. Allow to cool completely.
5. To decorate, place spoonfuls of the clotted cream on top of each cupcake, smooth the cream a little with the back of a spoon. Place half a strawberry on top of each cupcake.
6. For a final touch, decorate with Trimcraft downloadable cupcake toppers.
Perfect for Afternoon Teas and picnics, come rain or shine!
For ease and speed of mixing ensure all your ingredients are at room temperature, take the butter and eggs out of the fridge a few hours before you plan to bake the cakes.
The cakes can be baked and stored in an airtight container up to three days in advance or frozen for up to 1 month before decorating if you want to get ahead.
Clotted cream can be swapped for freshly whipped cream if you fancy a lighter option.
We've gone for strawberries and cream cupcakes as they are synonymous with Wimbledon, however feel free to get creative with different fruit toppings, peaches, raspberries or blackberries would all be equally as delicious!
We'd love to see your Wimbledon themed cupcakes so don't forget to share your bakes in the Inspiration area and to #trimcraft and @elle_jane_ on social media so we can drool over them!