Simply Creative Happy Days Father’s Day Tie Card
Get inventive with the kids as they get crafting for Father’s day! Today, Maxine takes you step by step on how they can use the funky Simply Creative Happy Days papers to create a fun design that will also hold their dads’ favourite sweets, perfect!...
What you Need
Dovecraft 6x6 Card Blanks
Simply Creative 12x12 Happy Days Paper Pad
Simply Creative Gems
How to Make
1. Firstly, take your Dovecraft 6x6 card blank and fold one side in half, vertically toward the centre fold. Repeat this step on a second, 6x6 Dovecraft card blank.
2. Open out your folded card and cut 3cm down the fold you have created. From the bottom of your cut, score a diagonal line across to the top left corner. Fold the flap you have scored to create the look of a collar.
3. Repeat this step on the second 6x6 Dovecraft card blank by flipping your card so that is opens from the right hand side. This time, score from the bottom of your cut diagonally up to the top right corner. Fold the flap as before to create the collar effect.
4. Cut out two, 7.5cm x 5cm strips of the grid paper within the Simply Creative 12x12 Happy Days paper pad. Open out your first card blank and on the side that hasn’t been cut, glue one strip to the top. Repeat this step on your second card.
5. Find the marble paper within the Simply Creative Happy Days paper pad and cut two, 7.5cm x 15cm strips. Take the first one, measure 3cm down from the top right edge and cut diagonally across to the top left corner. Glue this to the front of your card, on the left. Take the second strip and repeat this step but instead, measure down 3cm from the left hand side, cut to the top right corner and glue to the right hand side of your card.
6. Take the grid paper once again and cut a 7.5cm x 5.5cm rectangle. Cut your strip diagonally and adhere each piece to the collar at the front.
7. Cut two, 2.5cm x 17cm strips of Happy days marble paper. Attach the two separate strips together by the end to create one long strip using Dovecraft Perma Fix tape. Wrap this around your card and when happy with the fit, stick your strip together with a piece of Dovecraft Perma Fix tape.
8. Cut a 4.2cm x 12cm strip of pineapple paper from the Simply Creative Happy Days paper pad. From this, cut out a basic tie shape and adhere this with glue to the centre of your finished band.
9. Open out your first card blank, fold in 0.5cm from the edge of the left hand side flap and use a strip of Dovecraft Perma Fix tape to attach your fold to the card. Repeat this on your second card blank, on the right hand side. This fold will enable you to achieve depth and shape in your finished card, so that you can fill it with sweets and treats!
10. Slide the two cards together so that both of the folds are at the front of the card. Stick the two cards together from the back using Dovecraft Perma Fix tape.
11. Cut two, 4cmx 7cm strips of paper, make a mark every 1cm. Score a horizontal line at each mark to make a mountain and valley fold. Repeat this step on your second strip.
12. Add a strip of Dovecraft Perma Fix tape to the ends of each strip. Carefully adhere each strip inside the gaps at the bottom of your card. This will enable you to have a sturdier card and will securely hold your sweets!
13. To finish, add a Simply Creative gem at the corner of each collar to add interest. Then fill the card with sweets and treats!
If the kids wanted an alternative look, they could add a bow tie instead, the choice is in their crafty hands! We’d love to see your Father’s day crafts so make sure to upload them to the project gallery and when uploading to social media, to #Trimcraft!
Have you checked out our Craft Challenge for June? If you like to put your crafting ability to the test, this will be perfect for you and you could win a fabulous prize..