Today Grace is going to show you how to create this wonderful ocean-themed scrapbook layout. Whether you’re new to scrapbooking or looking for fresh and new ideas for layouts, our wonderful tutorial will help to get you started on creating a memorable 12x12 inch design.
Our tutorial uses the magical First Edition Beyond the Shore papers to create a mermaid-inspired layout which will look wonderful displayed in your scrapbook album. Before you begin, you will need to select the photograph that will form the centrepiece of your design - we chose a photograph taken at the seaside to reflect the ocean theme of this layout!
Get to experience the whole scrapbooking process, from a blank sheet to a complete page by following our step-by-step tutorial. See this layout come to life as we highlight all of the main steps!
What You Need:
First Edition Beyond the Shore 12” x 12” Paper Pad (8” x 8” also optional)
Your chosen photograph
1” Circle Punch
Simply Creative Star Gems
Dovecraft 3D Pearl Effects in Blue and Purple
Sheer, Iridescent, or Glitter Spray
1. Start by fussy cutting some elements from the 12” x 12” paper pad, such as the mermaids, seashells, and starfish.
2. On your 12” x12” background paper, roughly sketch out the bottom of a mermaid’s tail in pencil.
3. On another sheet of paper, draw the fin part of the mermaid’s tail. Cut to size and shape and adhere to the page.
4. Lightly dab silver acrylic paint along the edge of the mermaid’s tail with a make-up sponge.
5. With papers that contrast to both your background and fin, punch 1” circles with a circle punch. You will need approximately 60-70 of these.
6. Starting at the base of the tail with one circle, add the circles one by one, layering the next row over the top of the previous one to create a scale effect.
7. Turn the paper over and trim off any ‘scales’ that have stuck out from the edge.
8. Back your chosen photograph with a contrasting paper, leaving about a 5mm frame around the edge.
9. From the cover of the paper pad, fussy cut the ‘Beyond the Shore’ title shell, then use some of the fussy cut elements to cover up the written information on it.
10. Decide where to put your fussy cut embellishments; it’s often helpful to take a photo once you’ve done this to refer back to when you’re adhering them.
11. To finish, add some Simply Creative Star Gems and then some Dovecraft 3D Pearl effects in and around your embellishment clusters.
12. As an optional extra, if you have any iridescent, sheer, or white/clear Mica Sprays, spray some of this over the mermaid’s scales to add an extra glittery and shiny effect.
Just look at those shimmery scales!
You now have your completed scrapbook layout! This is perfect for documenting trips to the seaside, holidays or other travel photographs!
We really hope you enjoyed Grace’s scrapbook layout tutorial! We would love your finished designs to see if you decide to create this layout, so remember to upload your designs to the Inspiration area and to #trimcraft when uploading to social media.