With Mother’s Day just under a month away (11th March!) we’ve got a really beautiful gift idea to share with you! Today, Kathy is showing you how to create this pretty Iris Paper Fold design which has been presented in a frame to make a stunning piece of wall art that any mother would treasure!
This technique involves folding strips of paper and then arranging them in a spiralling design around an aperture like the iris of a camera. Iris folding is can be used to create beautiful cards or eye-catching scrapbook layouts, but it also looks just as wonderful framed and hung on a wall to be admired.
Read on as Kathy takes you step-by-step through this stylish project. To help you create this design, we’ve also made a free template that you can print off and download.
Download your free template here
You will need:
A Frame with a Mount & an Aperture Measuring 17cm x 12cm
A Piece of A4 Card (Any Colour)
V&A Papercraft Collection 12” x 12” Papers, Adhesive Pearls, Mini Bows
V&A collection adhesive pearls
First Edition ‘Mum’ Sentiment Die (FEDIE167)
Iris Folding Free Template
1.Choose four paper designs from the V&A 12” x 12” paper pad.
2.From the first and third papers, cut three strips measuring 4cm by 19cm and two strips measuring 4cm by 12cm. From the second and fourth papers, cut five strips measuring 4cm by 12cm.
3. Fold all 20 strips in half lengthways so that they are now 2cm wide. This ensures that the edges are nice and straight and look great on the finished project.
4. Download and print our free template and trim off the excess paper. With the template facing up, place the mount from your frame facing down on top, line up the frame with the pattern.
5. Your papers will now be referred to as design A, B, C and D. Starting with the longer strips of folded paper place the first piece over area 1A on the template. Secure in place on the back of the frame with tape.
6. Take one of the strips of paper in your second colour and place this on the template over section 2B. Place a long strip of your third colour on top of 3C and the fourth colour over section 4D.
7. Repeat this process until all of the areas of the template have been covered.
8. Trim away the papers that have overlapped the centre section of the template and remove the centre rectangle of the template.
9. Place a piece of plain coloured cardstock on top of your folded design and secure in place with tape.
10. Die cut a ‘mum’ sentiment from one of the papers and fix to the centre of the frame TIP: for speed and to eliminate the need for additional adhesives, place double sided tape on the reverse of the paper before running through the die cutting machine. Once cut, remove the backing from the tape and place the die cut directly on your project.
If you don’t have a die cutting machine you could use alphabet stickers or handwrite the word MUM inside your frame.
10. Place adhesive pearls around the frame in a three colour pattern and finish with a bow in the corner.
You now have your finished Iris Paper Fold frame! The V&A papers are perfect for this project, and we’re sure that once complete this will be a gift that your mother will really treasure!
Will you be giving Kathy’s Iris Fold Frame a try? We’d LOVE to see if you do, so don’t forget to #Trimcraft and @KathyCraftsTV when uploading to social media and to share your projects in the Inspiration area.