Pancake day is one of our favourite days of the year (can you blame us?), so to prepare for this scrumptious occasion, Elle is going to show you how to make honey and blueberry pancakes and decorate using our fun duster template!
Honey and Blueberry Pancake Stack Recipe
Flipping Nora! Frying pans at the ready, it's the one day of the year when its perfectly acceptable to throw food around the kitchen!
I don't make pancakes very often, but pancake day brings out the kid in me and I like to go all out. This stack can be set down in the centre of the table with the fillings served on the side so everyone can dive in and create their own or you can assemble the stack with the fillings inside and serve by the slice as a dessert 'crepe cake'.
The dusting template, created by the awesomely talented Cat from the Trimcraft marketing team is truly the icing on the cake adding extra wow factor and a large slice of fun to the finished stack.
The pancake batter is based on a recipe passed to me by an Italian chef. It's the best I've ever tasted and features one of my favourite culinary transformations ever - the beurre noisette which literally translates as 'nut butter'. This adds amazing flavour to the mix.
I've opted for a classic filling of honey and blueberry, but feel free to put your own spin on this and check out my top tips below the recipe for alternative filling ideas.
Serves 4-6 and makes 12 to 16 pancakes in a 15cm diameter based pan.
Download your Free Pancake Duster Here
You will Need:
- 100g Butter
- 300ml Milk
- 4 Large Eggs
- 175g Flour
- A Pinch of Salt
For the filling and decoration...
- Free Duster Template
- 150g Blueberries
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 50g Sugar
- 200g Double Cream
- 2 tbsp Honey
- Icing Sugar for Dusting
To make the pancake batter:
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan heat until the butter begins to turn golden brown in colour and nutty in aroma. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
2.Tip the flour into a large mixing bowl and whisk in the eggs until you have a smooth, lump free mix. Slowly add the milk, whisking as you go and finally whisk in the butter so you have a smooth, thick batter.
3.Wipe the pan with oiled kitchen paper and place over a medium high heat. Ladle the batter mixture into the pan, around half a ladle full of batter should result in a thin crisp pancake. Swill the batter around the pan for full coverage. Cook for 20- 30 seconds until golden, flip, then cook for a further 20- 30 seconds on the other side.
4.Stack the pancakes onto a plate until ready to serve.
For the filling:
Place the blueberries, vanilla & sugar into a saucepan along with a splash of water. Gently heat until the blueberries soften then remove from the heat.
Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold through the honey.
Download the free pancake duster template and using a craft knife, carefully cut around it with a craft knife onto a piece of A4 card. Place your duster to the side until you need it.
Place one pancake onto a cake stand, spread a thin layer of the cream and honey mixture over the top. stack a second pancake on top and drizzle over a little blueberry sauce. Repeat this process and build up the layers until all the pancakes are stacked. For the top pancake, place the dusting template onto the pancake, gently sift a little icing sugar over. Firmly grip the tabs at either side of the template and very carefully but boldly lift the template from the pancake.
Top pancake making tips....
- If you don't fancy making the Beurre Noisette, melted butter works just as well or for a healthier option you can replace this with coconut oil. Equally, cream can be replaced with yoghurt for a lighter filling.
- The pancakes and blueberry syrup can be made a day in advance and stored in the fridge before assembling, stack them with layers of greaseproof paper between them to prevent them sticking together.
- Other great sweet flavour combinations to try are Nutella, crushed raspberry and marshmallow, mashed banana & caramel sauce or one of my all time favourite flavour combos, rhubarb and custard!
- Savoury flavours work really well with pancakes also, why not try spreading cream cheese and smoked salmon, ham, cheese and mustard or even guacamole, lime & chilli between the layers?
- Do get creative when using the template and give alternative dustings a try too. You could try cocoa powder, sherbet, 100's and 1000's, even paprika or any of your favourite spices for savoury options too!
These pancakes certainly look and taste yum yum! Whether you wait until Pancake day or treat yourself to a fancy pancake breakfast (which we may have to do this weekend!!) this gorgeous recipe paired with the free duster template will be a joy to make and will be even nicer to eat!
We can't wait to see your versions, so make sure to upload your pancake pics to the Inspiration area and to #Trimcraft when uploading to social media.