Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but during the week all too often it's a rushed affair; a bite to eat grabbed at speed in order to leave the house on time. So, this weekend we recommend slowing things down a little...
French toast is quite possibly the ultimate luxury breakfast and the perfect treat for celebrating the weekend.
You Will Need:
For the French toast...
- 8 slices brioche, cut to around half inch thickness
- 2 large eggs
- 125ml cup milk
- A pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 50g caster sugar
For the blueberry sauce...
- 150g blueberries- plus extra for scattering over the plate
- 50g caster sugar
- Juice of one lemon
How To Make:
1. Place the blueberries, vanilla & sugar into a saucepan along with a splash of water. Gently heat until the blueberries soften then remove from the heat and transfer to a jug.
2. Place the eggs, milk and salt into a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine.
3. Make a Lemon sugar by combining the lemon zest and caster sugar together on a plate. Blend together with your fingers, set aside.
4. Set a frying pan on the hob over a medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of butter and heat through until just melted and beginning to foam.
5. Dip two slices of brioche into the egg mix ensuring each slice is fully coated.
6. Fry until golden brown, flip and repeat on the other side.
7. Once cooked dip each slice into the lemon sugar.
8. Repeat with the remaining brioche slices.
Serve two slices per person along with a generous drizzle of the blueberry sauce and a scattering of fresh blueberries.
- Feel free to mix up the toppings, spring time brings a whole host of fresh fruit to play with such as rhubarb and blood orange.
- Adding lemon zest to the sugar adds an extra flavour dimension to the dish and there is huge scope for creativity here. Swap the lemon for orange zest, hard herbs such as thyme or even a little spice such as powdered cinnamon or ginger for simple flavour twists.
- For the savoury lovers, the French toast could always be topped with a few cheeky slices of crispy bacon and a good drizzle of maple syrup!
Will you be making Elle’s delicious Lemon and Blueberry French Toast? We’d LOVE to see if you give these a try, so don’t forget to #Trimcraft and tag @elle_jane_ when uploading to social media, and to share your yummy makes in the Inspiration area.