We’re back again with another wonderful craft from one of our Design Team members – Angela Dodson aka pollypurplehorse! This week Angela has crafted a fabulous Pop-Up Cupcake Card using our new First Edition Cupcake Die Set AND Chasing Rainbows Paper Pads and we are in love with the results.
Whether it’s for a birthday, or just to let someone know you care, this super sweet card is stunning inside and out and sure to impress.
To help you make your own version, we have created a free downloadable template – making this card easier to put together than it looks!
You will need:
- Our FREE Pop-up Card Template - Download here!
- First Edition Chasing Rainbows 12”x12” Paper Pad | Shop at The Range
- First Edition Build Your Own Cupcake Die Set | Shop on Amazon
- First Edition Animal Characters Die Set | Shop on Amazon
- Dovecraft Mermaid & Unicorn Card Pack | Shop on Amazon
- Dovecraft Acetate | Shop on Amazon
- Dovecraft 6”x6” Square White Card Blank | Shop on Create and Craft
- Dot & Dab Double Sided Tape | Shop at Hobbybase
- Dot & Dab Glue Dots | Shop at Craft Stash
- Dovecraft Clear Drying Glue | Shop at The Range
(This is just what we have used - but feel free to mix it up and swap out with products you may already have!)
How to make:
1. Using the template, transfer the measurements onto your chosen patterned paper and cut and fold where marked. This will create the ‘pop-up’ mechanism.
2. Open up a 6”x6” square white card and attach the pop up insert as shown below using double sided tape (make sure to avoid sticking the parts that will pop out!)
TIP: If you find this difficult, try doing this one panel at a time, or use a liquid glue so you have a little more wiggle room before the insert is fully attached.
3. Next cut a hill shape, similar to the one shown below, out of the green patterned paper and attach to the lower panel of the card.
4. Using the NEW First Edition Build Your Own Cupcake Die Set, die cut and layer up 4 cupcakes as desired by gluing them onto a contrasting patterned paper so it shows through the cut out sections. Cut out the cupcakes to make toppers.
5. Attach 2 cupcakes to the lower platform on the pop out insert and one just above on the central section. Use Glue dots to attach these when you are happy with the placement. It’s at this point you should add any decorative embellishments to your cupcakes.
6. Die cut 3 butterflies out of your favourite co-ordinating patterned paper. Attach the first to a strip of acetate and adhere behind the lower right cupcake. Make sure to position it so it can’t been seen when the card is closed! Glue another butterfly to the top left corner inside the card.
7. Die cut a bunny from glitter card and back with a contrasting paper so it shows through the cut out sections. Add the bunny to the hill inside the card and add the remaining cupcake next to it.
8. Attach a sentiment (Angela cut hers from the First Edition Chasing Rainbows Paper Pad) and the remaining butterfly to the front of the card to finish.
Now you’re done! In 8 easy super easy steps you too could have your very own pop-up cupcake card, perfect for Birthdays, Holidays or really any occasion. You could even change it up - simply swapping out the papers, sentiment or die cuts would give the card a whole new feel to fit your needs!
A special thank you once again to Angela Dodson aka pollypurplehorse for this fabulous tutorial, we hope you all love it as much as we did at Trimcraft HQ! Check her out Instagram for more fabulous Inspiration or have a look on our inspiration page for more Design Team tutorials and crafts!
What did you think to our pop-up cupcake card tutorial? Will you be giving it a try? Don’t forget to show us your makes in the Inspiration area, or #Trimcraft on social media as we really do love to see what you create – and share with other crafters too!
The First Edition Build Your Own Cupcake Die Set and Chasing Rainbows Paper Pads featured in this tutorial are out now and available from all good craft retailers.
Trimcraft design these templates to aid your crafting projects, so we are always happy to see them being used and enjoyed. However, we just ask you credit Trimcraft for the template design by tagging us when you publish your crafty makes online and on social media!